In collaboration between ACCELERATE, DESY and HZG, the Industry Satellite Session during the DESY and European XFEL User Meeting 2019 ‘Looking for the Indestructible: Preventing Damage, Failure and Fracture‘ took place in Hamburg, Germany on 24 January 2019.
Especially for aerospace, automotive, railway or other civic industries, faultlessness in terms of reliability and safety of the engineering components is a must. With the introduction of new ways of fabricating components such as additive manufacturing or the development of new designs to reduce energy consumption, the complete understanding of these components, which are often operating under extreme conditions, are not negotiable.
The seminar showcased how synchrotron radiation and neutrons can, in a non-destructive manner, gave insights into the behavior of materials and engineering components during fabrication or operation. Several techniques were explained and linked to current questions.
Among others, the speakers were:
- Henning Fehrmann (CEO/Owner, Fehrmann GmbH)
- Nikolaj Zangenberg (Center Director, Danish Technological Institute, DTI)
- Jimmy Binderup Andersen (CEO, LINX Association)
- Benedetta Marmiroli (Scientist, Elettra Synchrotron Trieste)
- Katrin Bugelnig (Scientist, Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt, DLR)
- Egenhard Link (Head of Industry Services DESY)
The agenda of the event can be found here.